[Homeroast] On Topic: Popper-Roasting

John Nanci john at chocolatealchemy.com
Thu Jul 11 10:28:17 CDT 2013

E-gads, this is like old times.  Loving it.

To my knowledge, nichrome (or any resistive heater) does not 'tire
out' to any noticeable degree.  They fail, but that's it.  So you can
take that off the table.

My basic take is that you should continue to reduce the air flow to
the point it is just able to keep the beans lofted.  If you are
already there, then instead of increasing bean mass, you may need to
lower bean mass.  I know often you increase mass to reduce loft, but
in your case, that is already covered with the fan.  If you have a
low fan, and heat at maximum, the only other place to go is reducing
the amount of heat needed.

BTW, which popper are you using?  And what is your initial bean
mass?  And are you tilting your popper or is it flat?

John