[Homeroast] On Topic: Popper-Roasting

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 09:52:44 CDT 2013


With dew points consistently over 70 here for the past weeks, I've been
feeling like I'm roasting in a sauna. Not the best conditions for roasting.


On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM, miKe mcKoffee <mckona at comcast.net> wrote:

> Jeeze I'm bread dead this morning it's summer not winter! (first cup of the
> morning Esmeralda Americano hadn't kicked in yet :)
>
> Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
> www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
> http://www.mckoffee.com/
>
> Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
> first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
> found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone
> before.
>
> Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Homeroast [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
> Behalf Of miKe mcKoffee
> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:09 AM
> To: 'A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for
> thislist,available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html'
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] On Topic: Popper-Roasting
>
> Thinking back not a sliding top and not full box, settled in using a 3
> sided
> box with top flap adjustable like a draw bridge.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Homeroast [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
> Behalf Of miKe mcKoffee
> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:57 AM
> To: 'A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for
> thislist,available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html'
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] On Topic: Popper-Roasting
>
> Back when I was Frankenformer Rosto roasting (mucho same as your setup)
> used
> just enough fan to keep good bean movement, reducing speed as beans
> lightened as you are. Question: what else has changed? Specifically ambient
> temp greatly affects roast since colder air coming in takes more power to
> heat. I roasted in the garage and during cold months even throwing my max
> 142v at heater wasn't enough to compensate, used a box to keep warmer air
> surrounding the roaster, sliding top variable how much on but never fully
> enclosed. Maybe this will help!
>
> Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
> www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
> http://www.mckoffee.com/
>
> Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
> first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
> found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone
> before.
>
> Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Homeroast [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
> Behalf Of Robert Yoder
> Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:09 PM
> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: [Homeroast] On Topic: Popper-Roasting
>
> Greetings, group,
>
> I am currently using a modified popper (Independetly-controlled Heat and
> Fan
> with Bean Mass Temperature Probe) and have a question about optimal
> adjustment of the Fan Speed.  I haven't had much in the way of guidance,
> but
> have found some discussion of Fan Speed in respect to Bean-Lofting, so I've
> started roasts with enough fan to loft the beans and reduced fan as the
> beans lose weight (in order to keep them from being blown out)  Lately, I
> seem to be noticing difficulty in reaching a target Bean Mass Temperature
> and wonder if I should increase or decrease fan speed to speed the roast to
> its conclusion. I am considering the possibility that the heater element is
> tiring out, and also considering increasing batch-size.
>
> I would be greatful for any experience-sharing offered, and would also be
> happy to see the list turn away water-gazing, at least for awile.
>
> Happy Roasting,
>
> robert yoder
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmar
> iascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a
> href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmar
> iascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a
> href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmar
> iascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a
> href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>



-- 
Ed Bourgeois
Amherst MA.


More information about the Homeroast mailing list