[Homeroast] On Topic: Popper-Roasting

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 00:09:07 CDT 2013

Greetings, group,

I am currently using a modified popper (Independetly-controlled Heat and Fan with Bean Mass Temperature Probe) and have a question about optimal  adjustment of the Fan Speed.  I haven't had much in the way of guidance, but have found some discussion of Fan Speed in respect to Bean-Lofting, so I've started roasts with enough fan to loft the beans and reduced fan as the beans lose weight (in order to keep them from being blown out)  Lately, I seem to be noticing difficulty in reaching a target Bean Mass Temperature and wonder if I should increase or decrease fan speed to speed the roast to its conclusion. I am considering the possibility that the heater element is tiring out, and also considering increasing batch-size.

I would be greatful for any experience-sharing offered, and would also be happy to see the list turn away water-gazing, at least for awile.

Happy Roasting,

robert yoder