[Homeroast] What Coffee Do You Buy, When You Can't Roast

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Tue Jul 9 15:59:23 CDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 10:55:15AM -0400, Seth Grandeau wrote:
> without homeroast, I break down and buy some commercial.  I was curious
> what coffees others on the list actually buy, when they don't have
> homeroast on hand.

Most of the time, I'll roast something and drink it unrested, then with
one day's rest, then ...  :-/

After the Nesco stopped working, I got a bag from IHaveABean.com, a
very local (¼ mile from home) roaster.  Their mission is laudable, and
the operation was started, I suspect, in part to fund the building of
the one-off large fluid bed roaster (I think they had a 12 lb batch
going the time I was there getting the story).  I guess one or more of
the founders has been homeroasting for a while.

Anyway, whatever I got - probably some CA bean - it was just okay.
Useful to learn just how spoiled I'd become after nearly two years of
only SM's excellent selections.  No way to be sure it was the original
green or the roast, but before the Behmor arrived and I had a nice cup
of restless whatever to enjoy, I formed the notion that the greens
probably wouldn't have made it onto SM's list, or only in the middle of
a draught of Centrals.  Not actually bad, just... not up to snuff.

Back before I started roasting, and once when it was just too cold on
the porch to consider roasting for a week or more, I got by with a
local breakfast & lunch chain's "house blend", which came from
Intelligensia.  That was good, so good that, with my low rate of
consumption, it was pretty obvious how much it faded before I'd get to
the end of the 1lb bags.  Decided to try this home roasting thing
instead, which led to the unexpected box of greens on Christmas, and so
to the porch with heat gun and bowl on the 26th.  Ain't never goin'
back...

--
South currently attempts to ignore ContentType,
as it's a whole pile of fail. -- Andrew Godwin