[Homeroast] Ethiopia Sidama Deri Kochoha

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 12:08:31 CDT 2013

Sheila, I periodically come back around to the French press. I think it was
Tom who did some experimenting with temperatures and found that a problem
with the French press is that it loses heat at a rapid rate during
extraction, so that it's hard to get the best extraction from the grounds.
One thing that helps is to insulate it by wrapping it with the packing
plastic with the small bubbles. I keep a sheet of it handy for this
purpose. One time I secured it with Scotch tape, and that has stayed on for
quite a while and the adhesive has been remarkably resilient. I haven't
actually tested it, but anecdotally it seems to make a difference in
retaining heat during extraction.

Brian