[Homeroast] What Coffee Do You Buy, When You Can't Roast

Seth Grandeau grandeau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 11:58:14 CDT 2013

miKe,

I think you (a top commercial roaster) need to qualify what is a top
commercial roaster.  I'm sure you didn't mean "top" as in volume. :)

A small, commercial roaster, like yourself, with access to great coffee
greens, great equipment, and years of experience, will kick my butt.

My local WFs has better equipment than I do, but I think their greens may
be inferior (or at least they tend toward blends) and their roasters'
technique is cr at p.  They Ron Popiel it (set it and forget it).  Nothing
upsets me more than reading a great fruiting sounding coffee description,
labelled as a light roast, and when I open the bin, something black and
shiny is sitting there pretending to be coffee.  Sometimes they get it
right, sometimes they don't.

My local shop has better equipment and more experience than I do, but I
think we're pretty close in resulting quality.  Maybe I buy better beans. :)