[Homeroast] What Coffee Do You Buy, When You Can't Roast

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Tue Jul 9 11:56:41 CDT 2013

My schedule (first travel, now convalescence from my second total knee replacement surgery--completing the matched pair) has increasingly made home-roasting a rarity for me.  I am lucky to live four blocks from Metropolis Coffee & Tea, and to be able to have Intelligentsia Black Cat delivered by Peapod on a day's notice.  I am drinking mostly espresso and low-carb cappuccino lately (almond & coconut milks with a Tbs. of heavy cream), so it's either Black Cat or Red Line (reg. & decaf).  For the odd single cup of brewed coffee, I confess to having a Keurig machine (Kenya AA and 8 O'Clock are my choices there). If I know I'll need to brew in quantity but have no time to roast and let it rest 1-2 days, I get Schweik's Ottoman Adventure or Spice Isl. Blend from Metropolis. Friends brought back some "Rise Again" blend--mostly Indonesians--from Nova Scotia last year; it was pretty darn good. The name comes from the roasters being fans of the late great Nova Scotian singer-songwriter Stan Rogers, and is the refrain of his most famous song "The Mary Ellen Carter."  Stan, just 36, perished in the fire caused by the crash landing of his flight in Cincinnati 30 years ago this summer.