[Homeroast] Sweet Maria's New Coffee Alert

Seth Grandeau grandeau at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 13:37:51 CDT 2013

The cupping scores are a standard, if I recall correctly.  Basically,
they're geared toward fruity floral coffees (think Kenyans, Ethiopians, and
Geshas(to mix regions and cultivar)).  Since I enjoy those flavor profiles,
within those types of coffees, higher scores usually mean more enjoyment,
for me.  And I'll generally try anything that comes in, from those regions,
that are in the 90s.  I'll also try very high 80s, if the description
sounds good to me (again, within those coffee regions/types).

But for other coffees that I like, such as Indonesians or Brasil Yellow
Bourbons, the score is a less perfect measure.  I'll look at the score for
mouthfeel, which is important to me, but otherwise, I'll go by the tasting
notes only.

And, some of my favorite past coffees have been ones that someone on this
list recommended, even if score was only mid-80s.  Though that
recommendation usually only comes out after the recommender has purchased a
huge stash for themselves. :)