[Homeroast] New Burrs Needed?

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Thu Jan 24 04:11:42 CST 2013

No "visible" signs unless really REALLY shot. Run the tip of a finger nail
along a burr cutting edge, will it cut it or does it slide easily? Truth is
many or most "tech support" people are low trained parts replacement monkeys
not trained trouble shooters or quality control conscious.

It's ludicrous to speak of burr life in terms of years. If it's done with
consumer grinders like Baratza it is for marketing using some estimated
"average" home usage and IMO less than critical taste criteria. One user
might grind an ounce of beans a day another 8 ounces (or more) wearing the
burrs 8 times as fast. One user might grind extremely coarse for a long
Press Pot infusion time while another much finer even grinding for Press Pot
but with short 2 or even 1 1/2 minute infusion instead of 4 or 5 minutes
often used - again resulting in much more burr wear.

The finer the grind the more the burrs are working and dulling. As burrs
dull they slowly "cut" less and less and "crush" more and more resulting in
greater and greater grind unevenness and fines. With espresso shot pulls
become more and more inconsistent dull and or bitter tasting. Non espresso
brewing cup change can be less detectable because the changes are so gradual
and brewing processes not as demanding. Until one day one might realize
there coffee doesn't taste as lively as it once did but bland and dull. When
they finally break down and spend a few bucks on new burrs the taste
difference is (usually) night and day, as in huge.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/