[Homeroast] New Burrs Needed?

msmb msmb at suddenlink.net
Wed Jan 23 23:35:28 CST 2013

For the solis grinders Baratza speaks of the life of the burr in terms of
years.  The web pages says 3- 4 years, if i recall correctly.  For me that
would be around 250 - 350 pounds.  But the guy at Baratza -- he was the
tech support person probably-- told me far more; i think he told me up to
1000, remarkable as that might seem.  Not sure why he would so overestimate
the life of the burr, especially since the company can earn more based on
the lower figure.  Actually, I have probably now used my grinder for close
to 600 pounds and I do not see any need to change the burr. That is almost
exclusively grnding for drip. But let me admit to being rather lowbrow in
the matter; other people on the list seem to take much greater care.  I
suppose that ignorance is bliss.   Perhpas I should ask you, then, what is
it that determines the quality for you; taste, of course, but what are the
visible signs of having to replace the burrs?