[Homeroast] New Burrs Needed?

Duane Mitchell duanemitchell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 11:25:07 CST 2013

I'm also having a problem with my Solis Maestro grinder by Baratza. It looks like new burrs are the solution. My grinder is about 8 years old.

My problem is that a fine powder is getting packed into the bottom of the cone burr area and it at first slows down the grinding and will stop it if I don't clean it after every grind. I did run some minute rice through the machine and that helped but for only one or two grinds. I'm going to get a new ring burr from Baratza. I'd like to change the cone burr as well and I'd at least like to take a look in there and maybe clean it. But it's on there pretty tight. I tried some vice grips and all it does is spin the grinder. Anyone got a suggestion as to how to get that off?

Thanks.

Duane

On Jan 15, 2013, at 9:09 PM, msmb wrote:

> [...]
> the beans were not going into the grinder and it turned out that I needed a
> paddle wheel, which the internal burr sits on.  After replacing that --in
> mine, removing the burr is not difficult but a pain in the butt because it
> is cross threaded and over the years tightened on; I ultimately used a
> hammer gently hitting a vice grip to get it off-- the grind was uneven and
> only marginally different when I changed the setting.  This unevenness is
> caused by the burr holder; it has a couple of little pieces that I suppose
> lock the outer burr into place and they are broken off..  Check the support
> and trouble shooting section  of the Baratza web page to see if you find
> your problem.
>
> As for the life of the burrs, I think the Baratza web page  says they
> should last through 300 pounds.  But the very helpful tech support person i
> spoke said that really the life of the burr is much longer; that i should
> get 1000 pounds.
>
> As I am waiting to take delivery of the replacement burr holder I have been
> using a hand grinder that I picked up in a second hand shop some years
> ago.  There is no brand name on it but it is a fabulous little machine; it
> gives me a nice even grind for drip all of the time.  There is no brand
> name on the machine but it looks like some of the good ones I have seen.
> the only marking on it, carved into it in crude letters is, "Houston,
> 1951." Thre is a little make also where the would has been gouged by
> something repeatedly hitting into by the crank.  When I look into the
> ginder it is very clear that it has been well used; the metal at the top of
> the burr looks a little rough and uneven.  I wonder how many times this
> grander has been used in the past 60 years and it makes me think that the
> tech support person is not incorrect in saying that you could get that much
> life out of the burr.  By the way, if you do want to change the burr they
> only cost around $15 from Baratza; they were not in stock for several of
> their grinders, the last time I checked, but I have been told that they
> will have them.
>

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM, John Mac <johnt.mac at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dennis-
>> Sounds like it's time for a change of burrs. I have the same grinder and
>> replaced my burrs awhile back. It made a huge difference in grind quality
>> and consistency. Not a very difficult task to do if you're at all handy
>> with some tools.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> John in Nor Cal
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Dennis Guyer <adg22 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Baratza Virtuoso grinder that has had aprox. 100 lbs. put
>> through
>>> it.  Lately is seems something has changed and the grind looks a little
>>> different on my usual setting.  (18-20)  Any thoughts on if it is time to

>>> Dennis