[Homeroast] New Burrs Needed?

msmb msmb at suddenlink.net
Tue Jan 15 20:09:36 CST 2013

I have been dealing with the same issue on my Solis Maestro Classic.  First
the beans were not going into the grinder and it turned out that I needed a
paddle wheel, which the internal burr sits on.  After replacing that --in
mine, removing the burr is not difficult but a pain in the butt because it
is cross threaded and over the years tightened on; I ultimately used a
hammer gently hitting a vice grip to get it off-- the grind was uneven and
only marginally different when I changed the setting.  This unevenness is
caused by the burr holder; it has a couple of little pieces that I suppose
lock the outer burr into place and they are broken off..  Check the support
and trouble shooting section  of the Baratza web page to see if you find
your problem.

As for the life of the burrs, I think the Baratza web page  says they
should last through 300 pounds.  But the very helpful tech support person i
spoke said that really the life of the burr is much longer; that i should
get 1000 pounds.

As I am waiting to take delivery of the replacement burr holder I have been
using a hand grinder that I picked up in a second hand shop some years
ago.  There is no brand name on it but it is a fabulous little machine; it
gives me a nice even grind for drip all of the time.  There is no brand
name on the machine but it looks like some of the good ones I have seen.
the only marking on it, carved into it in crude letters is, "Houston,
1951." Thre is a little make also where the would has been gouged by
something repeatedly hitting into by the crank.  When I look into the
ginder it is very clear that it has been well used; the metal at the top of
the burr looks a little rough and uneven.  I wonder how many times this
grander has been used in the past 60 years and it makes me think that the
tech support person is not incorrect in saying that you could get that much
life out of the burr.  By the way, if you do want to change the burr they
only cost around $15 from Baratza; they were not in stock for several of
their grinders, the last time I checked, but I have been told that they
will have them.