[Homeroast] Moving on to the big roaster in the sky

Zara Haimo zara at haimo.net
Wed Jan 2 18:39:38 CST 2013

Old timers on this list may remember Alfred and his many questions about roasting and brewing as he tried to perfect his techniques.  As I remember, Les kindly went to his house and spent a day with him helping him learn to use all his gear to best advantage - has anyone heard from Les or seen a new Thor Tamper in a while?  When Alfred got sick and decided to sell everything, Les was also the one who packed it all up and sent it to me.  I was fortunate enough to meet Alfred briefly at one of the coffee roasting gatherings we had some years ago in Oregon - I think it was the one at Alchemist John's.   There are many wonderful people on this list!

On a slightly different topic, a few weeks ago I had some repairs done to a gas fireplace at my house.  I was about to make a latte for myself, so I asked the serviceman if he'd like one too.  Today I stopped by the fireplace company to look at some replacement options he recommended.  The salesman called him to ask about some specs for my current installation.  He didn't remember my name or anything about my fireplace until he remembered the latte which apparently made a big impression.