[Homeroast] Teaching an old dog new tricks

Kirk Janowiak kirk at angelwoodcreative.com
Tue Dec 31 11:44:19 CST 2013

Lynne,
I co-miserate with you on the passing away of favorite products. What is it
about Modern Innovation that always is looking to fix what is not broken?
When my fave whirly-blade gave up, I disassembled it, sharpened up the
blades, cleaned the motor...and it worked again! ...for a while. I went out
to find another, but the model was gone and the replacement versions had
"innovated" the features that made the old grinder work well right out of
the new grinders!

The good news for me is my wife & kids saved up and bought me a
burr-grinder from SM the next Christmas/Birthday (combined for the sake of
the gifting) and I quickly learned to appreciate my Maestro Plus. I've had
it a couple years and while it is not at the level of what some of the
list-mates here run, it does a very nice job of grinding my beans more
consistently than the whirly-blade ever could and producing a more
consistent, fine grind for my pseudo-espresso than I could ever get even
when holding down the whirly-blade's button for minutes.
If (when) this grinder goes to grinder heaven, I will be hard pressed to
replace it (on account of income), but I think I would seriously think
about selling some "toys" to replace it. I have already looked
longingly at the Mazers and Rockies...anyone need a kidney for a reasonable
price?

Best wishes for a Happy New Year and may your grinder continue to whirl!
Kirk

Janomac at gmail.com