[Homeroast] Teaching an old dog new tricks

Frank Parth fparth at me.com
Mon Dec 30 18:14:06 CST 2013

Earlier this year I was helping my son move from Missouri back to Southern California after he finished graduate school. While staying in south Kansas City (Leesville area) we stopped by a coffee shop, The Roasterie, that had the best cup of Yirgachaffe I’ve ever had. I love Yirga and always have 10-15 pounds on hand. But the Roasterie did a two and a half minute pour over that brought out flavors I never knew Yirga had.

I looked at the grind and it was finer than I was doing at home. So I changed my Rocky grind from a 30 to a 20 and went from three and a half minutes to two and a half minutes. I’ve gotta admit that I’m getting a lot more flavors out of the cup than I was getting before.

I know Tom recommends finer grinds but I had to see it for myself.

Frank Parth

And a wonderful, and caffeinated, 2014 to all the list members.