[Homeroast] Uganda boycott > was RE: +Twelve roasts of Christmas

Sandy Andina sandraandina at icloud.com
Mon Dec 23 14:58:34 CST 2013

I used to use that rationale all the time to justify continuing to buy stuff I really, really loved and didn't really want to give up. Sort of like fur and conflict diamonds (think of those poor starving trappers, furriers and miners and their families), not to mention burning as much fossil fuel as i want. Again, not enough farm workers would be hurt relative to the message to the Ugandan gov't that this issue has enough traction with a plurality of consumers of its major export to affect its balance of trade. If they could go from death penalty to life w/o parole, it's a signal that public opinion DOES influence their policies and that it could effect further change, however incremental.

 Look what happened just before the sunset of apartheid when people began to publicly boycott South African wines and go elsewhere for travel. (Not to mention all the artists who declared they wouldn't "play Sun City"). True, Paul Simon bucked the trend (and caught flak) by recording with Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Soweto sidemen--but he paid triple scale, managed to get them out of the country to do so, and he may have helped publicize the issue to such an extent that the weight of public opinion finally tipped the scale in favor of abolishing apartheid and releasing Mandela.

As to hurting Tom & Maria, don't you think that the other African beans we'd buy from them instead (especially if more expensive) would make up the difference?

Sent from my iPad
Sandy
www.sandyandina.com