[Homeroast] Uganda boycott > was RE: +Twelve roasts of Christmas

Sandy Andina sandraandina at icloud.com
Sat Dec 21 14:52:16 CST 2013

For those who haven't heard about it, in Uganda one can get life in prison without parole for either being gay or failing to inform the government about people one knows are gay. Protests and boycotts are the only ways people outside Uganda can bring this to light. Of course, a boycott alone probably won't change Ugandan laws in the short term. But these days boycotts can go viral, and influence those in other countries to speak out with their mouths and wallets. Playing the "it hurts the little guy" card is specious--by that logic, you are harming the workers and families of every country's goods you consciously choose not to purchase and even of every business you refuse to patronize. It can reach reductio ad absurdum. Meanwhile, Ugandan farmers and farm workers have already been paid for what they've harvested. But announcing that henceforth one will not buy a country's major export commodity does send a message to its government, even if it takes years to effect a change.  As Edward says, Africa is big enough for us coffee lovers to satisfy our thirsts and support coffee workers & farmers without tacitly endorsing human rights violations. Money talks, and it ultimately can talk to those at the top.

Sent from my iPad
Sandy
www.sandyandina.com