[Homeroast] Shop roasters

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Mon Aug 26 14:44:38 CDT 2013

IMO Dietrich fine quality roaster BUT over state their capacity (with any
profile control). OTH USRC under states their roaster capacity. Been using
USRC 3k (with profile controller) for 5 1/2 years, consistent reliable work
horse capable of excellent roasts. My production roasts are to "yield" 6lb
post roast which means 6.9 to 7.2lb greens (depending on green and profile)
no problem. Most of my roast profiles run 14 to 15:30 depending on profile
etc. For fun early on tested the real max capacity of my little mule and did
a 10lb greens batch. Ran flat out and got to LFC (first touch of 2nd) in 20
minutes. About the same length of time a Dietrich will run at rated capacity
not 50% OVER rated capacity. Oh AND discovered that 10lb greens size batch
was a bit too big for cooling tray! It is a 3k = 6.6lb rated roaster after
all. :-)

Dietrich touts their "fuel efficiency". True at the expense of actual batch
size. I'm still running more expensive propane (vs. natural gas) and my
average propane cost per lb post roast is ~5 cents, break the bank! Did the
math and would take me easily 20 years in fuel savings to pay for the cost
to have existing natural gas line tapped (for furnace).

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/