[Homeroast] Not sure how to go about roasting now - Behmor close to death

Bonnie Polkinghorn bonnie.polkinghorn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 20:23:53 CDT 2013

I agree with Ira.  I am covering part of the mesh section, all but a small
1 inch square so I can still peak at the beans.  I don't know if the chaff
tray is dull.  I did see a newer Behmor than mine once, and the inside
walls were so much shinier.  It may be the early models are a little
different, I don't know.

I don't preheat because I figure the Behmor is like an oven, and if I
preheat, then open the door to put the beans in, I have just lost all of
the heat that was in there.

As with most anything, this method works great for me.   I don't want to
add another 2 minutes to my roast times to preheat when I shaved two
minutes off with the foil.  To be honest about when I change the foil, its
also when it tears or when I see the 1C times creeping up.  Since I started
using the high heat aluminum tape (make sure it is high heat, there are
aluminum tapes that are not) - the foil doesn't tear very often.  I do
clean the foil like I do the inside walls.

Also, if I don't use a chaff tray, and I have tried it, especially with
decafs (since they have little to no chaff), the time to 1C (and therefore
the total roast time) is longer.

Wow, I am totally out of lurker mode with this discussion!

-Bonnie