[Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 67, Issue 5

John M. Howison johnmhowison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 12:53:54 CDT 2013


On 8/7/13, homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
<homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com> wrote:
> Send Homeroast mailing list submissions to
> 	homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	homeroast-owner at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Homeroast digest..."
>
>
> Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting "HomeRoast List" Digest
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Keurig (Brian Kamnetz)
>    2. Re: Keurig (Sandy Andina)
>    3. Re: Not sure how to go about roasting now - Behmor close to
>       death (Martin Maney)
>    4. Re: Not sure how to go about roasting now - Behmor close to
>       death (John Nanci)
>    5. Re: Not sure how to go about roasting now - Behmor close to
>       death (Ben Treichel)
>    6. Re: Keurig (Scot Murphy)
>    7. Dying Behmor (John M. Howison)
>    8. Re: Dying Behmor (Ben Treichel)
>    9. Roasting for co-workers > was RE:  Dying Behmor (miKe mcKoffee)
>   10. Re: Dying Behmor (Jamie Dolan)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 12:00:02 -0500
> From: Brian Kamnetz <bkamnetz at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Keurig
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAFH=DT2aUe=U0Rujb9eqCZDgaDH4v7wHPGEPcAGfcd0Yghq9GA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Dave,
>
> I took a cue from Tom and now almost always tell people that my coffee is
> stronger than they will probably like, and as with Scotch you want to add
> water just a bit at a time until the flavor opens up. I have the hot water
> right there for them to add, and always caution them to add just a few
> drops at a time, because you can always add more, but you can't take any
> out. I have had good results this way.
>
> Brian
>
>
>
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Dave Huddle <
> 137trimethyl26dioxopurine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I had one Keurig cup from a friend at work.   NASTY! weak, bitter.    I
>> fixed him a cup of homeroast with a Clever Coffee Dripper.    It was too
>> strong for him.
>>
>> Dave,
>> Westervillle, OH
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Bob Hazen <peatmonster at comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Sure is good to hear all of you coffee lovers again!  For a while, I
>> > thought everyone had embraced the Keurig or started patronizing Dunkin
>> > Donuts.  Now who would do >that< Lynne?  (grin).
>> >
>> > Bob
>> >
>> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sheila Quinn" <
>> quinngraphics at gmail.com
>> > >
>> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>> > list,available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/**maillistinfo<
>> http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo>.
>> > html" <homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
>> homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> > >
>> > Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 7:52 PM
>> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Keurig
>> >
>> >
>> >  I hope everyone involved in marketing there is getting a huge bonus!
>> > Not
>> >> just anyone could sell an overpriced, lackluster machine like
>> that....with
>> >> overpriced pods, no less!
>> >> ______________________________**_________________
>> >> Homeroast mailing list
>> >> Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> >> http://lists.**
>> sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.*
>> >> *sweetmariascoffee.com<
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> >
>> >> <a href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<
>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
>> >> ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>> >> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<
>> http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
>> >> new Coffee Library</a>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> > ______________________________**_________________
>> > Homeroast mailing list
>> > Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> > http://lists.**
>> sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.**
>> > sweetmariascoffee.com<
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> >
>> > <a href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<
>> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
>> > ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>> > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<
>> http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
>> > new Coffee Library</a>
>> >
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:49:28 -0500
> From: Sandy Andina <sandraandina at icloud.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Keurig
> Message-ID: <197FD97D-F531-4618-B9C6-3BC9C217488F at icloud.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> A lot of the nastiness in a Keurig-brewed cup can be attributed to stale
> K-Cups. Those purchased in-store are usually way out of date compared to
> those shipped fro Keurig.com or GreenMountain's site. Another culprit is
> buying too many boxes at a time. Also, the machines can be erratic
> (especially those of other brands licensed by Keurig) when it comes to water
> dosage and temperature. Often the factory default temp is set too low. The
> Extra Bold varieties taste bitter and burnt when brewed at the 7-8 oz
> setting and require the 9-10 oz (again, the size diff. varies by brand)
> setting, whereas the regular varieties should be brewed on the 7-8 oz
> setting. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get a machine that doesn't
> go blooey, but generally Keurig's customer svce dept is very good during the
> warranty period. When my Breville version short-cupped (despite following
> recommended procedures) too soon after purchase, my local Sur La Table
> exchanged it twice, no questions asked. Knock wood, it's been okay for over
> two years now. Remember to clean and descale per mfr instructions.  Its main
> virtue is its ability to quickly accommodate family members' needs for
> single cups of different hot beverages which usually won't get cold before
> they're consumed. On the road when I drive, it's easier, faster and neater
> for me to use my Mini than to grind, boil water and use a press or drip
> arrangement, and it's cleaner and better than in-room machines.
>
> But at home when I know at least four cups of the same coffee will be
> consumed before cooling off, I still go old-school with beans, grinder and
> Technivorm.
>
> Sent from my iPad
> Sandy
> www.sandyandina.com
>
> On Aug 6, 2013, at 8:56 AM, John Nanci <john at chocolatealchemy.com> wrote:
>
>> 'too strong'
>>
>> Goodness, I hear this a lot, and just, totally, and honestly, can't wrap
>> my head around it.  Snobbishness aside (trying really hard), I don't get
>> it.   All I really hear is 'too flavorful' at which point I say the same
>> thing.  How can something be too flavorful?  Too bitter.  Too harsh.  Too
>> astringent.  All those I understand.  But too strong and/or flavorful -
>> <comprehension = null>.
>>
>> I've heard this about a chocolate torte I make (ala Mike McKoffee).
>> 'yeah, it's good, but it's too (rich/strong/flavorful)' - huh?
>>
>> 'I'm sorry honey, not tonight - last time was just too good'  - RIGHT!
>>
>> John
>> Alchemist at large
>>
>> At 06:38 AM 8/6/2013, you wrote:
>>> I had one Keurig cup from a friend at work.   NASTY! weak, bitter.    I
>>> fixed him a cup of homeroast with a Clever Coffee Dripper.    It was too
>>> strong for him.
>>>
>>> Dave,
>>> Westervillle, OH
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Bob Hazen <peatmonster at comcast.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> > Sure is good to hear all of you coffee lovers again!  For a while, I
>>> > thought everyone had embraced the Keurig or started patronizing Dunkin
>>> > Donuts.  Now who would do >that< Lynne?  (grin).
>>> >
>>> > Bob
>>> >
>>> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sheila Quinn"
>>> > <quinngraphics at gmail.com
>>> > >
>>> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>> > list,available at
>>> > http://www.sweetmarias.com/**maillistinfo<http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo>.
>>> > html"
>>> > <homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>>> > >
>>> > Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 7:52 PM
>>> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Keurig
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >  I hope everyone involved in marketing there is getting a huge bonus!
>>> > Not
>>> >> just anyone could sell an overpriced, lackluster machine like
>>> >> that....with
>>> >> overpriced pods, no less!
>>> >> ______________________________**_________________
>>> >> Homeroast mailing list
>>> >> Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>>> >> http://lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.*
>>> >> *sweetmariascoffee.com<http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>>> >> <a
>>> >> href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
>>> >> ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>>> >> <a
>>> >> href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
>>> >> new Coffee Library</a>
>>> >>
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > ______________________________**_________________
>>> > Homeroast mailing list
>>> > Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>>> > http://lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.**
>>> > sweetmariascoffee.com<http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>>> > <a
>>> > href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
>>> > ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>>> > <a
>>> > href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
>>> > new Coffee Library</a>
>>> >
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:50:17 -0500
> From: Martin Maney <maney at two14.net>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Not sure how to go about roasting now -
> 	Behmor close to death
> Message-ID: <20130806185017.GB5075 at furrr.two14.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 08:29:50AM -0700, John Nanci wrote:
>> Behmor actually can roast slower in hot weather compared to cold.
>> It sounds anti-intuitive, but true - I can explain why if you care.
>
> I'd be interested if there's is anything more than the obvious change
> in the effective trip point of the "thermostat" the controller runs
> based on the wall-mounted sensor and the fans that move the air on and
> past it.
>
> --
> Minsky's Organism Principle: When a system evolves to become more complex,
> this always involves a compromise: if its parts become too separate,
> then the system's abilities will be limited; but if there are too many
> interconnections, then each change in one part will disrupt many others.
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 12:10:14 -0700
> From: John Nanci <john at chocolatealchemy.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Not sure how to go about roasting now -
> 	Behmor close to death
> Message-ID: <52014a1f.43c5440a.3e4a.ffffc831 at mx.google.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>
> Nope, that is exactly it.
>
> At 11:50 AM 8/6/2013, you wrote:
>>On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 08:29:50AM -0700, John Nanci wrote:
>> > Behmor actually can roast slower in hot weather compared to cold.
>> > It sounds anti-intuitive, but true - I can explain why if you care.
>>
>>I'd be interested if there's is anything more than the obvious change
>>in the effective trip point of the "thermostat" the controller runs
>>based on the wall-mounted sensor and the fans that move the air on and
>>past it.
>>
>>--
>>Minsky's Organism Principle: When a system evolves to become more complex,
>>this always involves a compromise: if its parts become too separate,
>>then the system's abilities will be limited; but if there are too many
>>interconnections, then each change in one part will disrupt many others.
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Homeroast mailing list
>>Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>><a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>><a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 21:04:36 -0500
> From: Ben Treichel <btreichel at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo. html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Not sure how to go about roasting now -
> 	Behmor close to death
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAB_jm7AoeyDU-XH3X18MTNXkodEn2u+8KPYjvx2DxGu6PaFk0w at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Also, if its hot where you are the power company could be dropping the line
> voltage. I have used a variac  to compensate for that.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 18:13:53 -0400
> From: Scot Murphy <deppitybob at comcast.net>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Keurig
> Message-ID: <E1DDD819-C472-4143-A42B-86AEF957A5C7 at comcast.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=us-ascii
>
>
> On Aug 6, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Sandy Andina wrote:
>
>> A lot of the nastiness in a Keurig-brewed cup can be attributed to stale
>> K-Cups. Those purchased in-store are usually way out of date compared to
>> those shipped fro Keurig.com or GreenMountain's site. Another culprit is
>> buying too many boxes at a time. Also, the machines can be erratic
>> (especially those of other brands licensed by Keurig) when it comes to
>> water dosage and temperature. Often the factory default temp is set too
>> low. The Extra Bold varieties taste bitter and burnt when brewed at the
>> 7-8 oz setting and require the 9-10 oz (again, the size diff. varies by
>> brand) setting, whereas the regular varieties should be brewed on the 7-8
>> oz setting.
>
> I refuse to get a Keurig because it doesn't come in 32-ounce doses.
>
>
> Scot "never mind the taste" Murphy
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 07:59:00 -0500
> From: "John M. Howison" <johnmhowison at gmail.com>
> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: [Homeroast] Dying Behmor
> Message-ID:
> 	<CABVjJ9aVRvQkC4DR+k_7aR+drvkAWtdkSQ9DdbP-FGy2SQhP1Q at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> This sequence began with the dying Behmor of a pound-a-week espresso
> roaster.
>
> While I shouldn't like to put a damper on anybody's home roasting, I
> wonder whether there isn't a local solution for his problem.  In my
> home-town of twenty-five thousand or so, in a part of the country some
> people think a bit backward, my home roasting is supplmented by two
> RPT two respectable coffee roasters who sell me fresh-roasted beans
> when I need help.  One of them is consisstently good, and used within
> a week of roasting his beans make coffee that is often as good as
> mine.  He offers a blend or two, and a bag labeled "COSTA RICA" of
> beans that that Tom thinks may be so good its boring.  (Tom doesn't
> like to mention the name of the CR plantation, so I won't)--
>
> This report is offered as evidence that home roasters have succeeded
> in creating a few Coffee Epicures nearly everywhere.  At eighty-nine,
> when my present roaster wears out, I may admit my infirmity and start
> buying 12-ounce bags of beans
> from That-Guy's-Coffee.  That Guy, BTW, who supplements his retirement
> by roasting, got his start with samplers from Sweet Maria's.
>
>
> Contra muros, mater rubicolla
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 08:08:08 -0500
> From: Ben Treichel <J.W.Bullfrog at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Dying Behmor
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAB_jm7Bi6+ywzfOvHyd3z=GitaD88T2eVRxB2VknV7xpreBc6g at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Yep, and I have a guy several rows over at work that buys from Coffee Shrub
> (or SM) and sells probably 20 - 30 lbs a week. Sometimes I buy green with
> him, and some times roasted.
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM, John M. Howison
> <johnmhowison at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> This sequence began with the dying Behmor of a pound-a-week espresso
>> roaster.
>>
>> While I shouldn't like to put a damper on anybody's home roasting, I
>> wonder whether there isn't a local solution for his problem.  In my
>> home-town of twenty-five thousand or so, in a part of the country some
>> people think a bit backward, my home roasting is supplmented by two
>> RPT two respectable coffee roasters who sell me fresh-roasted beans
>> when I need help.  One of them is consisstently good, and used within
>> a week of roasting his beans make coffee that is often as good as
>> mine.  He offers a blend or two, and a bag labeled "COSTA RICA" of
>> beans that that Tom thinks may be so good its boring.  (Tom doesn't
>> like to mention the name of the CR plantation, so I won't)--
>>
>> This report is offered as evidence that home roasters have succeeded
>> in creating a few Coffee Epicures nearly everywhere.  At eighty-nine,
>> when my present roaster wears out, I may admit my infirmity and start
>> buying 12-ounce bags of beans
>> from That-Guy's-Coffee.  That Guy, BTW, who supplements his retirement
>> by roasting, got his start with samplers from Sweet Maria's.
>>
>>
>> Contra muros, mater rubicolla
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 08:07:45 -0700
> From: "miKe mcKoffee" <mckona at comcast.net>
> To: "'A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for
> 	thislist,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html'"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: [Homeroast] Roasting for co-workers > was RE:  Dying Behmor
> Message-ID: <A10E102C6C204090AEBB247DCE52B18A at HeadBean>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
>
> Back when home roasting in my corporate IT days of DEC bought out by Compaq
> bought out by HP I'd bring in and make coffee for our monthly staff
> meetings. Always a hit especially with a discerning few. A number of
> co-workers asked if I would roast and sell coffee to them. At the time I
> said no, I didn't want to make my roasting coffee a "JOB". For me roasting
> coffee was a relaxing break from the high pressure world I worked in.
>
> Of course today is an entirely different story. Fast forward 13 years. Now
> Professional Roaster and November 1st will be 6 years since taking
> ownership
> of our first coffeehouse.
>
> Haven't actually roasted a batch at home in a long LONG time! But my roots
> are still here...
>
> Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
> www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
> http://www.mckoffee.com/
>
> Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
> first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
> found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone
> before.
>
> Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Homeroast [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
> Behalf Of Ben Treichel
> Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 6:08 AM
> To: A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> list,available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Dying Behmor
>
> Yep, and I have a guy several rows over at work that buys from Coffee Shrub
> (or SM) and sells probably 20 - 30 lbs a week. Sometimes I buy green with
> him, and some times roasted.
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM, John M. Howison
> <johnmhowison at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> This sequence began with the dying Behmor of a pound-a-week espresso
>> roaster.
>>
>> While I shouldn't like to put a damper on anybody's home roasting, I
>> wonder whether there isn't a local solution for his problem.  In my
>> home-town of twenty-five thousand or so, in a part of the country some
>> people think a bit backward, my home roasting is supplmented by two
>> RPT two respectable coffee roasters who sell me fresh-roasted beans
>> when I need help.  One of them is consisstently good, and used within
>> a week of roasting his beans make coffee that is often as good as
>> mine.  He offers a blend or two, and a bag labeled "COSTA RICA" of
>> beans that that Tom thinks may be so good its boring.  (Tom doesn't
>> like to mention the name of the CR plantation, so I won't)--
>>
>> This report is offered as evidence that home roasters have succeeded
>> in creating a few Coffee Epicures nearly everywhere.  At eighty-nine,
>> when my present roaster wears out, I may admit my infirmity and start
>> buying 12-ounce bags of beans from That-Guy's-Coffee.  That Guy, BTW,
>> who supplements his retirement by roasting, got his start with
>> samplers from Sweet Maria's.
>>
>>
>> Contra muros, mater rubicolla
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com <a
>> href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
>> Library</a>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmar
> iascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a
> href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 10:15:35 -0500
> From: Jamie Dolan <jamiedolan at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> 	list,	available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> 	<homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Dying Behmor
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAEptnFZSk5xiq4pkwdV3B8GJhwDXtDvw43mPcG83EYLquaBOdQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
>> home-town of twenty-five thousand or so, in a part of the country some
>> people think a bit backward, my home roasting is supplmented by two
>> RPT two respectable coffee roasters who sell me fresh-roasted beans
>
> HI;
>
> I did end up picking up a couple pounds from a local shop till be get
> the Behmor issues figured out.  There is only one shop within around
> 30 miles miles that roasts their own beans; at least from what I have
> found.  I think it is a respectably decent espresso roast, but isn't
> my favorite.  It was a little cheaper than I remembered, around $13.50
> a pound.
>
> I almost ordered some Black Cat from Intelligentsia.  I remember that
> blend being so good, but with shipping, it gets pretty expensive.
>
> I found one other shop that is about 35 miles from here that roasts
> their own in house; next time I'm near that area I will definitely
> check it out.
>
> Jamie
>
> p.s. I still have to look at the Behmor myself, but talked to my dad;
> I misunderstood, the elements both worked, but the glass was cracked
> around one, thus the reason he was talking about one of them being bad
> / broken.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of Homeroast Digest, Vol 67, Issue 5
> ****************************************
>


-- 
Contra muros, mater rubicolla



More information about the Homeroast mailing list