[Homeroast] Keurig

Sandy Andina sandraandina at icloud.com
Tue Aug 6 13:49:28 CDT 2013

A lot of the nastiness in a Keurig-brewed cup can be attributed to stale K-Cups. Those purchased in-store are usually way out of date compared to those shipped fro Keurig.com or GreenMountain's site. Another culprit is buying too many boxes at a time. Also, the machines can be erratic (especially those of other brands licensed by Keurig) when it comes to water dosage and temperature. Often the factory default temp is set too low. The Extra Bold varieties taste bitter and burnt when brewed at the 7-8 oz setting and require the 9-10 oz (again, the size diff. varies by brand) setting, whereas the regular varieties should be brewed on the 7-8 oz setting. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get a machine that doesn't go blooey, but generally Keurig's customer svce dept is very good during the warranty period. When my Breville version short-cupped (despite following recommended procedures) too soon after purchase, my local Sur La Table exchanged it twice, no questions asked. Knock wood, it's been okay for over two years now. Remember to clean and descale per mfr instructions.  Its main virtue is its ability to quickly accommodate family members' needs for single cups of different hot beverages which usually won't get cold before they're consumed. On the road when I drive, it's easier, faster and neater for me to use my Mini than to grind, boil water and use a press or drip arrangement, and it's cleaner and better than in-room machines.

But at home when I know at least four cups of the same coffee will be consumed before cooling off, I still go old-school with beans, grinder and Technivorm.

Sent from my iPad
Sandy
www.sandyandina.com