[Homeroast] Coffee Germination

Janomac janomac at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 09:27:45 CDT 2013

As with Kevin's results, EVERY bean I have soaked has shot out its radicle
(initial root tip), except for Monsooned Malabar...which simply got wet and
then began to decay. Unfortunately, I did not continue the sprouting until
they began to separate and display their cotyledons and initial leaves. I
may do that this summer.

Why soak them, you ask? I thought I head someone ask...

Last summer I started an experiment to extract proteins from green coffee
and analyze differences between growing regions (Costa Rica, Guatemala,
Brazil, India, Ethiopia, Yemen, Sumatra) and between a small number of
"types" (Bourbon, Typica, Caturra, and "unknown"), I soaked greens
overnight, 24 hours, 48 hours, & 72 hours. ALL (except the monsooned) beans
from a dozen or so kinds of beans sprouted their radicles within 72 hours
-- most before 48 hours. Every bean. After 72 hours, I put beans in the
fridge to prevent further development and to reduce spoilage.

Ultimately, my experiment was a bust because even the soaked seeds defied
easy pulverization by means available to me. To squash the green beans, I
had to hammer them using a 16-oz hammer to strike and a 4-lb sledge hammer
as an anvil. It was kinda fun...but the end results were both a mess and
the extraction required finer "grinding" than I was able to provide, given
the tools in the lab. I was NOT about to bring in my coffee grinder to do
this. A whirly-blade grinder did NOT work. Those beans are just too hard,
yet have some give so they won't shatter like a roasted bean. In the future
I will flash freeze beans in liquid Nitrogen and pulverize in a ball mill
-- if I can get someone near the lab to part with theirs for a few hours.

Now you've got me wanting to sprout a bunch of beans to see how many I can
get to leaf out!

Kirk