[Homeroast] Forced plurimodality

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 02:30:58 CDT 2012

Hi MiKe,

"Very wrong" is probably a little strong, and, I'd venture to say, very
strong, relative to what's being measured.

When grinding very coarse and getting fines mixed in with the coarse (as
with an espresso grinder, as evidenced by the K6), the bands of plurimodal
concentration are far wider apart than the bands of plurimodal
concentration that you'd find when grinding for espresso.

I'm not an espresso brewer myself, but from what I've read, most espresso
brewers set their grinders fairly fine.  So, by definition, the bands of
plurimodal concentration would be much, much closer together.

To me, the proof was in the cup.  When I deliberately forced the "espresso
grinder" coarse/fine plurimodality, I got a cup of coffee that tasted a lot
like the K6 coarse grind without manipulation.

Doug