[Homeroast] Forced plurimodality

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Thu Sep 27 19:27:37 CDT 2012

Bottom post:

-----Original Message-----
From: homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
[mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On Behalf Of Doug
Hoople
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:35 PM

> That's not an issue at all with espresso, as espresso is generally fine
ground, and as long as it's fine, the output is "monomodal," meaning all the
grounds are fine.

> Doug

First glad you got your non-espresso grind challenge worked out to your
satisfaction. However the statement above is very incorrect. While generally
speaking the overall grind for espresso is finer than most other brewing
methods (Turkish an exception), the grind IS and needs to be plurimodal for
proper extraction. Good espresso grind analysis would look like a bell
curve. Which is why burrs designed specifically for espresso grinding do
poorer for non-espresso grinding duties - the required fines over extract
non-espresso brewing.

Check out the book "Espresso Coffee: The Science of Quality" by Illy & Vaini
for an in depth discussion/explanation. Be warned, this book is PhD level
stuff!

Mike McGinness, Head Bean
Compass Coffee
http://www.compasscoffeeroasting.com
360-989-6658

Ultimately the quest for Coffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must