[Homeroast] Forced plurimodality

j3r j at j3r.org
Thu Sep 27 15:50:13 CDT 2012

On 12-09-27 04:35 PM, Doug Hoople wrote:
> hee hee....
>
> Only here and a few other places would I expect people to know what the
> subject line meant even before reading.
>
> I'm a minority coffee drinker, an avid dedicated drip fan, and my preferred
> grind is coarse.
In my understanding you could also adjust a different variable to
achieve the same result, and that is the time that the coffee is exposed
to the water. With a finer grind you need less time for proper
extraction, since there is more surface area exposed to the water.
French press has a longer extraction time than a brew method using a
finer grind.

So, although you have found your "sweet spot" already, you could
probably take the output from almost any grinder and adjust instead the
brew time according to the composition of the grind. If the coffee is
uninteresting this could point to an underextraction due to too little
brew time (or too cool water, or not enough coffee), too bitter or
strong would be overextraction.

Good info here for the geeks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_extraction

Jeremy