[Homeroast] further info on helping me choose an iRoast2 replacement

gtsteig at comcast.net gtsteig at comcast.net
Thu Sep 27 00:16:40 CDT 2012

I've roasted several lbs a month in my programable Hottop (8-9 oz capacity per roast) for years and get quite stable results without a probe. I do keep detailed records of all my roasts, and when I check previous roasts of the same bean to the same roasting level (amount of time into 2nd crack, for instance), it will often be exactly or nearly exactly the same roasting time length as before, given moderate ambient temperatures. I roast outside on my covered deck so the length of roast is affected by the very highs and lows of ambient temperature. Accordingly, I tend not to roast if the ambient temp is in the low 30s or lower on the low end or low 90s or higher on the high end.

Of course, I do roast to different levels depending on what I'm roasting and for what type of brewing method I'm roasting for. Also, I like to vary the roasting levels to offer different tastes in various melanges when I combine beans for brewing.

Terry
Seattle