[Homeroast] scorched coffee

James Quentin jamesaquentin at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 19:22:53 CDT 2012

Not sure I can pinpoint precisely the time at which 1st crack occurs, as it seems to vary with each type. And because I'm a little hard of hearing I sometimes have
difficulty detecting it, especially with the noise the Gene Cafe gives off when tumbling the beans.  Getting old ain't fun.  But I adjust using sight, and smell more.

I think the advice about air flow was very good.  Mine also does tend to clog at the air outlet, and the sweeper sometimes can't keep up, slowing the air flow
and raising temperatures possibly too much. That also varies by bean, but I think that is something to keep an eye on.

Now you've got me re-thinking my temperatures.  Perhaps 435 is too low indeed.  I'm going to play with it some with higher temps and see if
things improve.

We all learn from these discussions.

Jim