[Homeroast] Fwd: scorched coffee

Jeffrey Kelly jeffrey-kelly at att.net
Sun Sep 9 09:57:35 CDT 2012

The only time I have experienced scorching with my GC is when the chaff sweeper was misaligned and did not do its job.  If the exit vent does not get cleared once per drum turn after start of 1C, bean temperature can spike in the drum and not show on the temp reading.  Watch the vent and be sure the sweep totally clears the vent.  Burned chaff build up (excessive) on the vent is a bad sign.

Other thoughts related to air flow:  have you cleaned the chaff screen lately?  The holes might not look dirty but they slowly get caked with solids and flow inches lower.  How many roasts with your GC?   Could the fan be weak?

Good luck with your roasts...let us know how you do.

-JD Kelly

Begin forwarded message: