[Homeroast] scorched coffee

p&k pnkk3 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 8 21:25:11 CDT 2012

Hoping someone can help. I've been getting what looks like scorched beans in my Gene Cafe. I'm trying to roast El Salvador Finca LaMontanita Bourbon beans.
Usually I roast 227 grams and start at 300 for 3 minutes then bump it to 482 until 1st crack and then drop it down. The beans have a scorched look, black on the outside, but light brown on the inside.  I tried dropping it to 470, then 460, then 450. The beans still look scorched. On the last roast I noticed alot of chaff. Does anyone have any ideas, would doing a smaller batch help?
Thanks for the help in advance