[Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 56, Issue 3

Adrienne Perlman apretiredprof at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 16:19:55 CDT 2012


Keep with it Mike. Wishing you a quick return to normal limits  I suspect
that I too am a Type II and will be seeing a physician a week from tomorrow
to learn if I need meds.  Again, keep with it!
Adrienne


On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM, <
homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com> wrote:

> Send Homeroast mailing list submissions to
>         homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         homeroast-owner at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Homeroast digest..."
>
>
> Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting "HomeRoast List" Digest
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk to Stop       Diabetes
>       (miKe mcKoffee)
>    2. Re: OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk to Stop
>       Diabetes (Michael)
>    3. Re: OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk to Stop
>       Diabetes (Janomac)
>    4. Re: OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk to Stop
>       Diabetes (Steven Van Dyke)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 18:27:07 -0700
> From: "miKe mcKoffee" <mckona at comcast.net>
> To: "'A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for
>         thislist,       available at
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html'"
>         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: [Homeroast] OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk to
>         Stop    Diabetes
> Message-ID: <F951DD311F5E4EE3B9A8CD5B3E1F5862 at HeadBean>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"
>
> You're invited to join us Saturday September 29th, 2012 in person or in
> spirit.
> http://main.diabetes.org/goto/compasscoffee
>
> You know me as miKe mcKoffee aka Mike the Head Bean and Roast Master of
> Compass Coffee here in Vancouver (not BC!) Washington (not the Capital!). I
> am committed to walk and raise money in this inspirational event because I
> personally know some of them and I am now one of them.
>
> July 25, 2012 my life changed forever. I'd been having a hard time
> breathing
> for a couple days because of a virus that had hit my lungs hard. Ended up
> going to the ER that night barely able to breath. This was the third time
> in
> my life this had happened - the last time over a decade ago. While on a
> second round of breathing treatments they came back and took a 2nd blood
> sample for more testing. Came back later and asked when I'd eaten last.
> Told
> them 7 or 8 hours ago. They told me fasting blood glucose was at 300. 300
> compared to what, didn't mean a thing to me! I was diagnosed as Type 2
> Diabetic. That 300 would have been in the range of 70 to 100 for a normal
> person! I was given a prescription for Metformin 2x500 and sent home with
> follow-up appointment with a Dr of Internal Medicine.
>
> Saw the doctor the morning of July 31st and got a meter to monitor my blood
> sugar levels. Took my first after meal reading in his office - 430. I'd
> done
> a bit of online research by then, enough to know this was very very bad,
> anything above 140 and organ damage begins! Did you know more people die of
> Diabetes each year than die from Cancer? One of the tidbits I'd picked up
> researching and now I got scared! A bit of researching turned into a lot of
> researching. Major lifestyle change was in order. In addition to the oral
> meds and low carb smart carb diet began power walking a minimum 30 minutes
> per day August 9th. Yesterday September 1st was 24 days in 25 - 20th
> consecutive day power walking. As a small business owner I once upon a time
> made the excuse I didn't have time to exercise. Today different mindset, I
> make the time to exercise no matter what! Have heard some interesting
> comments people sometimes seeing me power walking in a big loop in front of
> the Roastery.
>
> Results so far of taking control of this disease making drastic lifestyle
> changes? First 7 days testing averaged 215 before meals (target 70-110)
> after 307 (target 90-140). Month and a couple days later now and latest 7
> day avg before meals 98 after 120! And feel 1000% better!
>
> Chances are, you also know someone who has been affected by diabetes and
> you
> already know how important it is to stop this disease. By making a donation
> or joining our team, you will be helping the Association provide
> community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with
> diabetes and fund critical research for a cure.
>
> As a team, united in our desire to Stop Diabetes, we are asking for your
> support. Please make a donation to one of our team members or become one of
> us by joining our team. When we bring together dedicated team members and
> kind donors, the power we have as a group far outweighs what any of us
> could
> do alone.
>
> We truly appreciate your support. Together we can Stop Diabetes!
>
> Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
> www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
> http://www.mckoffee.com/
>
> Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
> first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
> found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone
> before.
>
> Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:14:35 -0400
> From: Michael <espressoperson at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk
>         to Stop Diabetes
> Message-ID: <C0228316-BAC7-4E86-91AB-8075A1576E2D at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=us-ascii
>
> Hey miKe,
>
> Credit to you for heeding the call, taking this seriously, and doing your
> best to bring it under control. And even more credit for reaching out to
> help others too.
>
> All the best to you.
>
>
> michaelb
>
>
>
> On Sep 5, 2012, at 9:27 PM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:
>
> > You're invited to join us Saturday September 29th, 2012 in person or in
> > spirit.
> > http://main.diabetes.org/goto/compasscoffee
> >
> > You know me as miKe mcKoffee aka Mike the Head Bean and Roast Master of
> > Compass Coffee here in Vancouver (not BC!) Washington (not the
> Capital!). I
> > am committed to walk and raise money in this inspirational event because
> I
> > personally know some of them and I am now one of them.
> >
> > July 25, 2012 my life changed forever. I'd been having a hard time
> breathing
> > for a couple days because of a virus that had hit my lungs hard. Ended up
> > going to the ER that night barely able to breath. This was the third
> time in
> > my life this had happened - the last time over a decade ago. While on a
> > second round of breathing treatments they came back and took a 2nd blood
> > sample for more testing. Came back later and asked when I'd eaten last.
> Told
> > them 7 or 8 hours ago. They told me fasting blood glucose was at 300. 300
> > compared to what, didn't mean a thing to me! I was diagnosed as Type 2
> > Diabetic. That 300 would have been in the range of 70 to 100 for a normal
> > person! I was given a prescription for Metformin 2x500 and sent home with
> > follow-up appointment with a Dr of Internal Medicine.
> >
> > Saw the doctor the morning of July 31st and got a meter to monitor my
> blood
> > sugar levels. Took my first after meal reading in his office - 430. I'd
> done
> > a bit of online research by then, enough to know this was very very bad,
> > anything above 140 and organ damage begins! Did you know more people die
> of
> > Diabetes each year than die from Cancer? One of the tidbits I'd picked up
> > researching and now I got scared! A bit of researching turned into a lot
> of
> > researching. Major lifestyle change was in order. In addition to the oral
> > meds and low carb smart carb diet began power walking a minimum 30
> minutes
> > per day August 9th. Yesterday September 1st was 24 days in 25 - 20th
> > consecutive day power walking. As a small business owner I once upon a
> time
> > made the excuse I didn't have time to exercise. Today different mindset,
> I
> > make the time to exercise no matter what! Have heard some interesting
> > comments people sometimes seeing me power walking in a big loop in front
> of
> > the Roastery.
> >
> > Results so far of taking control of this disease making drastic lifestyle
> > changes? First 7 days testing averaged 215 before meals (target 70-110)
> > after 307 (target 90-140). Month and a couple days later now and latest 7
> > day avg before meals 98 after 120! And feel 1000% better!
> >
> > Chances are, you also know someone who has been affected by diabetes and
> you
> > already know how important it is to stop this disease. By making a
> donation
> > or joining our team, you will be helping the Association provide
> > community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with
> > diabetes and fund critical research for a cure.
> >
> > As a team, united in our desire to Stop Diabetes, we are asking for your
> > support. Please make a donation to one of our team members or become one
> of
> > us by joining our team. When we bring together dedicated team members and
> > kind donors, the power we have as a group far outweighs what any of us
> could
> > do alone.
> >
> > We truly appreciate your support. Together we can Stop Diabetes!
> >
> > Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
> > www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> > URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
> > http://www.mckoffee.com/
> >
> > Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I
> must
> > first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal
> enlightenment
> > found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone
> before.
> >
> > Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Homeroast mailing list
> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> Forum</a>
> > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
> michaelb
> espressoperson at gmail.com
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 11:20:01 -0400
> From: Janomac <janomac at gmail.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk
>         to Stop Diabetes
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CAEdwTj8kwhuGzjwMR6WqOdv6kv4rWyK1A+bQHvCEPy5SKJsJQw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Mike,
> In an old tradition of this list, I hereby award you hearty "kudos" and an
> additional 1,000 CSPs (Coffee Snob Points)*. You remind me that I should be
> taking my own health more seriously and getting my fat ol' butt moving
> more. I think I'll take a walk after work.
>
> *For those of you new to the list and perhaps unaware of some of out
> history here, this is a real compliment --not a dig-- to get awarded coffee
> snob points.
>
> Best to all,
> Kirk
>
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM, miKe mcKoffee <mckona at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > You're invited to join us Saturday September 29th, 2012 in person or in
> > spirit.
> > http://main.diabetes.org/goto/compasscoffee
> >
> > You know me as miKe mcKoffee aka Mike the Head Bean and Roast Master of
> > Compass Coffee here in Vancouver (not BC!) Washington (not the
> Capital!). I
> > am committed to walk and raise money in this inspirational event because
> I
> > personally know some of them and I am now one of them.
> >
> > July 25, 2012 my life changed forever. I'd been having a hard time
> > breathing
> > for a couple days because of a virus that had hit my lungs hard. Ended up
> > going to the ER that night barely able to breath. This was the third time
> > in
> > my life this had happened - the last time over a decade ago. While on a
> > second round of breathing treatments they came back and took a 2nd blood
> > sample for more testing. Came back later and asked when I'd eaten last.
> > Told
> > them 7 or 8 hours ago. They told me fasting blood glucose was at 300. 300
> > compared to what, didn't mean a thing to me! I was diagnosed as Type 2
> > Diabetic. That 300 would have been in the range of 70 to 100 for a normal
> > person! I was given a prescription for Metformin 2x500 and sent home with
> > follow-up appointment with a Dr of Internal Medicine.
> >
> > Saw the doctor the morning of July 31st and got a meter to monitor my
> blood
> > sugar levels. Took my first after meal reading in his office - 430. I'd
> > done
> > a bit of online research by then, enough to know this was very very bad,
> > anything above 140 and organ damage begins! Did you know more people die
> of
> > Diabetes each year than die from Cancer? One of the tidbits I'd picked up
> > researching and now I got scared! A bit of researching turned into a lot
> of
> > researching. Major lifestyle change was in order. In addition to the oral
> > meds and low carb smart carb diet began power walking a minimum 30
> minutes
> > per day August 9th. Yesterday September 1st was 24 days in 25 - 20th
> > consecutive day power walking. As a small business owner I once upon a
> time
> > made the excuse I didn't have time to exercise. Today different mindset,
> I
> > make the time to exercise no matter what! Have heard some interesting
> > comments people sometimes seeing me power walking in a big loop in front
> of
> > the Roastery.
> >
> > Results so far of taking control of this disease making drastic lifestyle
> > changes? First 7 days testing averaged 215 before meals (target 70-110)
> > after 307 (target 90-140). Month and a couple days later now and latest 7
> > day avg before meals 98 after 120! And feel 1000% better!
> >
> > Chances are, you also know someone who has been affected by diabetes and
> > you
> > already know how important it is to stop this disease. By making a
> donation
> > or joining our team, you will be helping the Association provide
> > community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with
> > diabetes and fund critical research for a cure.
> >
> > As a team, united in our desire to Stop Diabetes, we are asking for your
> > support. Please make a donation to one of our team members or become one
> of
> > us by joining our team. When we bring together dedicated team members and
> > kind donors, the power we have as a group far outweighs what any of us
> > could
> > do alone.
> >
> > We truly appreciate your support. Together we can Stop Diabetes!
> >
> > Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
> > www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> > URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
> > http://www.mckoffee.com/
> >
> > Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I
> must
> > first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal
> enlightenment
> > found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone
> > before.
> >
> > Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Homeroast mailing list
> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> >
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> Forum</a>
> > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 11:13:08 -0500
> From: Steven Van Dyke <coffee at svandyke.com>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk
>         to Stop Diabetes
> Message-ID: <492824.66195.bm at smtp105.biz.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>
> Mike,
>
> When I was diagnosed in July 2009 my fasting level was 380.  You
> could tell the Nurse Practiconer was worrying I'd be dead before I
> got out the door.
> We did NutriSystem's diabetic plan.  Lost 50 lbs in six months and
> had my levels way down within a week.  They had started me on
> 3xMetformin 500 + insulin.
> Had to drop the lunchtime Metformin within a month or so.
> When I did my six month follow up they called me back in because they
> couldn't believe my new numbers.
> Second check confirmed the improvements.
> Then I got Obamaed out of my job.  Since I had sufficient severance
> and things already laid out we decided I'd take a few months off.
> Interestingly, about six weeks later I couldn't keep my suger levels
> up and they had me start dropping things.
> I got off the insulin (after having been told that *never* happens)
> and then the Metformin.  So I was *right* that that place was poisoning me.
> After I got my new job (retail - selling guns at Cabelas) I couldn't
> keep my rigid feeding schedule and wound back up on one Metformin a day.
>
> So you *can* make things much better, you just have to get used to
> some contraints.  If your numbers aren't dropping like you'd like try
> the NutriSystem Diabetic plan.  It not only teaches you
> proper eating habits for a diabetic, the carefully controlled food
> *will* get your numbers under control.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Steve :->
>
>
> At 08:27 PM 9/5/2012, you wrote:
> >You're invited to join us Saturday September 29th, 2012 in person or in
> >spirit.
> >http://main.diabetes.org/goto/compasscoffee
> >
> >You know me as miKe mcKoffee aka Mike the Head Bean and Roast Master of
> >Compass Coffee here in Vancouver (not BC!) Washington (not the Capital!).
> I
> >am committed to walk and raise money in this inspirational event because I
> >personally know some of them and I am now one of them.
> >
> >July 25, 2012 my life changed forever. I'd been having a hard time
> breathing
> >for a couple days because of a virus that had hit my lungs hard. Ended up
> >going to the ER that night barely able to breath. This was the third time
> in
> >my life this had happened - the last time over a decade ago. While on a
> >second round of breathing treatments they came back and took a 2nd blood
> >sample for more testing. Came back later and asked when I'd eaten last.
> Told
> >them 7 or 8 hours ago. They told me fasting blood glucose was at 300. 300
> >compared to what, didn't mean a thing to me! I was diagnosed as Type 2
> >Diabetic. That 300 would have been in the range of 70 to 100 for a normal
> >person! I was given a prescription for Metformin 2x500 and sent home with
> >follow-up appointment with a Dr of Internal Medicine.
> >
> >Saw the doctor the morning of July 31st and got a meter to monitor my
> blood
> >sugar levels. Took my first after meal reading in his office - 430. I'd
> done
> >a bit of online research by then, enough to know this was very very bad,
> >anything above 140 and organ damage begins! Did you know more people die
> of
> >Diabetes each year than die from Cancer? One of the tidbits I'd picked up
> >researching and now I got scared! A bit of researching turned into a lot
> of
> >researching. Major lifestyle change was in order. In addition to the oral
> >meds and low carb smart carb diet began power walking a minimum 30 minutes
> >per day August 9th. Yesterday September 1st was 24 days in 25 - 20th
> >consecutive day power walking. As a small business owner I once upon a
> time
> >made the excuse I didn't have time to exercise. Today different mindset, I
> >make the time to exercise no matter what! Have heard some interesting
> >comments people sometimes seeing me power walking in a big loop in front
> of
> >the Roastery.
> >
> >Results so far of taking control of this disease making drastic lifestyle
> >changes? First 7 days testing averaged 215 before meals (target 70-110)
> >after 307 (target 90-140). Month and a couple days later now and latest 7
> >day avg before meals 98 after 120! And feel 1000% better!
> >
> >Chances are, you also know someone who has been affected by diabetes and
> you
> >already know how important it is to stop this disease. By making a
> donation
> >or joining our team, you will be helping the Association provide
> >community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with
> >diabetes and fund critical research for a cure.
> >
> >As a team, united in our desire to Stop Diabetes, we are asking for your
> >support. Please make a donation to one of our team members or become one
> of
> >us by joining our team. When we bring together dedicated team members and
> >kind donors, the power we have as a group far outweighs what any of us
> could
> >do alone.
> >
> >We truly appreciate your support. Together we can Stop Diabetes!
> >
> >Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
> >www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> >URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
> >http://www.mckoffee.com/
> >
> >Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
> >first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal
> enlightenment
> >found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone
> before.
> >
> >Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
>
> End of Homeroast Digest, Vol 56, Issue 3
> ****************************************
>


More information about the Homeroast mailing list