[Homeroast] OT: Re: Mailing List hacks

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Thu Sep 6 23:12:56 CDT 2012

At 06:03 PM 9/6/2012, you wrote:
>All of which kind of suggests that the best way to fight back would be
>to reply to as much of this junk as possible - make them have to look
>at it, try to keep them thinking you might be this week's fool to be
>parted from his money.  Even if you can't pull that off, just giving
>them another [million] red herring replies would make the scam a whole
>heck of a lot less attractive.

I believe you're wrong. The email addresses I have that I've never
responded to spam with tend not to get spam. Once you publish an
email or reply, they know it's a good email and your name will be
passed around to all the spammers. I have 10 or so email addresses.
one of them, the oldest and one that at one time was published on my
website gets a few hundred spam messages/day. The rest get between
zero and a few. Don't let them know you exist and you won't get spam.
I don't open spam messages, I don't download them so none of the
pictures embedded in the emails that would let them know I exist are
ever opened. Keeping spam away is a lot of work. I enjoy those email
addresses that get no spam and it's a lot of work to keep it that
way, but I think it's worth the effort.

Ira