[Homeroast] OT: Re: Mailing List hacks

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Sep 6 20:03:50 CDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:12:31AM -0400, Michael Wascher wrote:
> How is this done? Keep the attempt amateurish, put in a few
> misspellings & grammatical errors, don't hide the screwy links. If
> anybody does reply they're probably a good target for the scam. And
> the scammer can concentrate on just those few people.
>
> It is all about knowing & targeting your customer.

Which I was recently convinced, by a similar argument, is why so much
scammail still comes from Nigeria.  If you're informed enough for that
to make you say "uh-oh, spam", then just deleting it is exactly what
they want you to do.

All of which kind of suggests that the best way to fight back would be
to reply to as much of this junk as possible - make them have to look
at it, try to keep them thinking you might be this week's fool to be
parted from his money.  Even if you can't pull that off, just giving
them another [million] red herring replies would make the scam a whole
heck of a lot less attractive.

tl;dr: we're fighting spam all wrong with good filters!?

--
A craftsman is defined by his ability to tell bad from good,
good from better. If I had no basis on which to do that,