[Homeroast] OT: Compass Coffee Striders Step Out - Walk to Stop Diabetes

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 20:27:07 CDT 2012

You're invited to join us Saturday September 29th, 2012 in person or in
spirit.
http://main.diabetes.org/goto/compasscoffee

You know me as miKe mcKoffee aka Mike the Head Bean and Roast Master of
Compass Coffee here in Vancouver (not BC!) Washington (not the Capital!). I
am committed to walk and raise money in this inspirational event because I
personally know some of them and I am now one of them.

July 25, 2012 my life changed forever. I'd been having a hard time breathing
for a couple days because of a virus that had hit my lungs hard. Ended up
going to the ER that night barely able to breath. This was the third time in
my life this had happened - the last time over a decade ago. While on a
second round of breathing treatments they came back and took a 2nd blood
sample for more testing. Came back later and asked when I'd eaten last. Told
them 7 or 8 hours ago. They told me fasting blood glucose was at 300. 300
compared to what, didn't mean a thing to me! I was diagnosed as Type 2
Diabetic. That 300 would have been in the range of 70 to 100 for a normal
person! I was given a prescription for Metformin 2x500 and sent home with
follow-up appointment with a Dr of Internal Medicine.

Saw the doctor the morning of July 31st and got a meter to monitor my blood
sugar levels. Took my first after meal reading in his office - 430. I'd done
a bit of online research by then, enough to know this was very very bad,
anything above 140 and organ damage begins! Did you know more people die of
Diabetes each year than die from Cancer? One of the tidbits I'd picked up
researching and now I got scared! A bit of researching turned into a lot of
researching. Major lifestyle change was in order. In addition to the oral
meds and low carb smart carb diet began power walking a minimum 30 minutes
per day August 9th. Yesterday September 1st was 24 days in 25 - 20th
consecutive day power walking. As a small business owner I once upon a time
made the excuse I didn't have time to exercise. Today different mindset, I
make the time to exercise no matter what! Have heard some interesting
comments people sometimes seeing me power walking in a big loop in front of
the Roastery.

Results so far of taking control of this disease making drastic lifestyle
changes? First 7 days testing averaged 215 before meals (target 70-110)
after 307 (target 90-140). Month and a couple days later now and latest 7
day avg before meals 98 after 120! And feel 1000% better!

Chances are, you also know someone who has been affected by diabetes and you
already know how important it is to stop this disease. By making a donation
or joining our team, you will be helping the Association provide
community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with
diabetes and fund critical research for a cure.

As a team, united in our desire to Stop Diabetes, we are asking for your
support. Please make a donation to one of our team members or become one of
us by joining our team. When we bring together dedicated team members and
kind donors, the power we have as a group far outweighs what any of us could
do alone.

We truly appreciate your support. Together we can Stop Diabetes!

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/