[Homeroast] espresso maker

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri May 25 12:12:46 CDT 2012

I'm probably an espresso iconoclast. I have nothing against the machines. I
love good small appliances and can see the appeal. However, the Italian part
of me grew up with espresso decades before Starbucks, and as the machines
became available people I knew of Italian upbringing - here and there - used
the stovetop espresso makers. We considered machines, however lovely and fun
they are, to be for businesses, especially ones catering to tourists. I
still have that bias. I use stainless; I always though aluminum was a little
suspect in terms of flavor.

To further buck modern coffee society: I roast my espresso to city plus. I
get a concentration of all the flavors the coffee has to offer at that
roast; the same chocolate, fruit, nut, spice tones - but deeper. It's less
bitter, more - to my palate - balanced, with a little sweetness to it. I
lose the nuances with 'espresso' roast.

At any rate, the stovetop makers are cheap, so you're not out much if you
want to give one a try.

~ Stephen

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM, John <johnmonteleone at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would love to get an espresso machine for my home. ?I've been reading
about the Rancilio Silvia ? And wanted to get some opinions. I'm not opposed
to the price but I've read that it might be expensive for what your getting.
Creating foam is not a priority for me. I love a flavorful shot straight up.
Any comments anyone.