[Homeroast] Rancilio Silvia (Barry Luterman)

Paul Jolly pauljolly65 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 16:39:39 CDT 2012

I started on a Solis SL-70, graduating to a Silvia after a year or so.  Spent 2-1/2 years with it, so I got to know it quite well.  Barry's comments are spot-on; he's got every detail correct, as far as my experience went.  I added the PID and it helped with temp stability, but still a slow machine for several shots in a row.

The next stop was a Vibiemme HX machine.  It was faster & more temp-stable.  It also cost a hell of a lot more, but I could afford it at the time and it was totally worth it.  Beware of the lure of the god-shot: once you pull one, you'll be seeking another, then another, then another (which explains much of the upgrade-itis in home espresso making).

Cheers,
Paul