[Homeroast] distilled water

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:08:52 CDT 2012

I also find pure RO water to produce somewhat dull espresso..  Not sure of the chemistry behind this phenomenon, but it seems to be true.

I use an RO system, since we have rather hard city water, and water from the softener doesn't make the best espresso either.  After the RO, I use a 4x10" housing filled with calcite and a little magnesium oxide.  This puts some minerals back in the water, brings the pH back up near 7 (it's around 5 straight out of the RO), and lets the level sensor in my espresso machine function.

Makes good drinking water too... made the same way that overpriced Dasani stuff is made.

--mike