[Homeroast] distilled water

Josh Housh joshhoush at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:44:22 CDT 2012

Distilled water should not be used when brewing coffee, the lack of
minerals will mean there is nothing for the flavorful elements to bond to
during brewing leaving lots of good stuff behind in the basket.  In fact,
our fancy Giotto espresso machines have a sensor that detects when the
removable tank gets low and this sensor won't even function properly if
distilled water is used since the electrons from the minerals carry the
current through the water.  It is a well established fact that distilled
water does not yield good results.  That said water varies greatly and so
will brewed results.  Some people are even selling little packets to treat
water to ensure it has the "optimum" mineral content.  If you want to use
purified water from the store use Spring water for best results.