[Homeroast] distilled water

Andy Thomas adt0611 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 13:06:14 CDT 2012

A rule of thumb is, water that tastes good on its own makes good coffee. Distilled water is flat tasting. Water with a little dissolved minerals tastes better, and probably makes better coffee (but I haven't tried distilled for coffee). If your tap water is very hard -- lots of dissolved minerals -- that can be bad for your brewing equipment, causing mineral deposits that are difficult to get rid of. If that's the case, you can mix your tap water with distilled to get the desired result. Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ (see link in Ricky Carter's reply) is a great resource.