[Homeroast] distilled water

j3r j at j3r.org
Wed May 16 13:00:53 CDT 2012

On 12-05-16 01:46 PM, Greg Gearheart wrote:
> Distilled water is quite a good solvent and "hungry" for anything it can
> dissolve and has the tendency to dissolve a lot more stuff than plain old
> "tap water."  This combined with the points made by others that humans
> prefer a little taste to their water would suggest to me that distilled
> water is not ideal for extracting good coffee flavor.

It is kind of counter-intuitive since the readiness of distilled water
to dissolve substances would seem to make it ideal for brewing.

I will definitely rethink my coffee water situation. I dislike the taste
of chlorine, which I know will evaporate out in time (or can be boiled
out), but perhaps a charcoal filter would be the way to go.

The gunk left in my distiller after doing a few litres of water helps me
to visualize that what comes out of my tap is pretty awful. For each few
litres of tap water I am drinking 2 tablespoons or so of brown
disgusting smelling "stuff". I love the taste of distilled water, as
does my family. We have run the gamut of water filtration systems,
bottled waters, etc.

Jeremy