[Homeroast] Fwd: Vac-Pot Temp

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 19:14:56 CDT 2012

I chuckle a little when I think of the sediment that gets left behind when
brewing vacpot with the glass rod.  The first thing that pops into my head
is "French press."  The second thing that pops into my mind is the newbie's
general complaint about vacpot coffee that it's "too clean" (or the
equivalent observation that it's "too weak").

With the glass rod, there are, indeed, traces of sediment at the bottom of
the pot, usually no more than a thinly-distributed smudge about the size
and depth of a quarter.  I think of it like the sediment at the bottom of a
good bottle of red wine, and decline to pour the last drops of either.

And yes, there's no such sediment with the cloth filter.  The same could be
said of paper filters as well.  Both paper filters and cloth filters carry
taints of one sort or another, so I think it's a matter of picking your
poison.

But, in comparing the glass-rod vacpot sediments with the sediments in a
pot of French press, or in comparing the clarity of the liquid from the
glass-rod vacpot to a densely-particulated cup of espresso, my gut response
is "What sediment?"

Doug