[Homeroast] Vac-Pot Temp

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:43:46 CDT 2012

Hi Larry,

I'm assuming that you're asking about the glass rod vs. the cloth filter,
and not about the Cory rod vs. the Cona rod.

With the cloth filter, flavor elements of both the cloth and of residues
from prior pots make their way into the cup.  Some people don't detect
this, but others (myself included) find the taint to be quite pronounced.

With the glass rod, the coffee comes into contact with nothing but glass,
and the resulting cup is as pure as you could possibly hope for.

The glass rod is also a lot easier to clean vs. the cloth filter.

If the question was Cory vs. Cona, the Cory is a bit heavier, and the extra
mass seems better suited to brewing in the Yama.

The disadvantage of the glass rod, of course, is that it's prone to delays
and stalls during drawdown.  Totally manageable with a simple modification
in the brewing procedure, so no big deal.  But there is a small level of
skill required in using the glass rod.

The cloth filter is utterly flawless in that regard, and can be
successfully used on day one by a complete newbie.

Doug