[Homeroast] Yama + Cona Rod practice

John M. Howison johnmhowison at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:31:36 CDT 2012

Doug Hoople, all by himself, has justified the years I have spent
scanning the list.  His comments on water temp and his reports of
making great coffee without failures have vastly improved my
breakfasts.  I'd never have figured out for myself that a finer grind
is best for avoiding stall-outs.

And from Tom and Company I have learned that for brewed coffee, using
the too-dark roasts that continental cafes and Charbucks have
popularized is just a way to hide defects.

Now, if I could just figure out why more people don't brew with a
mixture of roasts.  Sweet Maria's keeps telling us that for a given
bean different roasts bring out different qualities.  I just had a mug
of Huehuetenango made with beans roasted to three different colors,
giving me all the available flavors, not just those produced at City,
City Plus, OR Full City.
Contra muros, mater rubicolla