[Homeroast] Tips for Cona Rod + Yama Vacuum Pot

Seth Grandeau grandeau at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:05:23 CDT 2012

I use a Cory rod (a few $ on ebay), not a Cona with my Yama, so this advice
may not be exactly what you need.  Originally, I got stalls all the time.
It turned out my problem was stirring.  Now, the process I follow is as
follows:

   1. Water in bottom, put on burner
   2. Rod and coffee put in top, held in stand
   3. Get water to a boil, without top in place, dial temp down to low.
   4. When boiling eases up, put top on, Start timer (set to 2:20).
   5. As water comes up to top, use paddle, just enough to get all grounds
   wet, stop.  Do not stir.
   6. On my stove, on low, I get enough water vapor/steam up to the top to
   keep everything moving nicely, but not bubbling over.  Temp check is 205.
   7. When timer hits, carefully move pot to a cool part of stove and let
   it draw down.  This generally takes about a minute.
   8. Pour into cup, drink, enjoy.

I've never had it stall on me, with this procedure.  Good luck!