[Homeroast] Tips for Cona Rod + Yama Vacuum Pot

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:01:10 CDT 2012

Hi Phil,

Paradoxically, the coarser you go, the worse your stalling problems will
be.

Less paradoxically, the darker your roast, the worse your stalling problems
will be.

If you're stalling, there's really only one solution... just before
drawdown, apply a burst of heat to the pot.  This will increase the
intensity of the bubbles in the funnel and the resulting turbulence will
rearrange the mix of fine and coarse grounds at the filter interface
between the funnel and the rod.

If you do apply the burst of heat, make sure it's sharp enough to rattle
the rod.  If the rod doesn't rattle, you might still get a delay.  The
burst of heat can be as short as 2 or 3 seconds, and shouldn't last longer
than 6 or 8 seconds, max. The split-second you hear the rattle, move the
pot off the heat.

It's been over 2 years since I stumbled onto this technique, That's well
over 1,000 pots of coffee that I've made with a glass-rod vacpot with it.
In that time, I've had about 4 or 5 delays and absolutely zero stalls.  For
those who remember, for the whole year before that, I was getting delays
and stalls with almost every pot. My fault for grinding coarse and brewing
Vienna-roast beans, but that's how I wanted my coffee, so I had to work
through the problem.

The Cona rod does actually work with the Yama pots, and the burst of heat
technique is effective with it.  A Cory or a Corning rod (which you have to
buy used) are better suited, though, and are worth looking into.

Try the burst of heat, though, Phil.  It should get you the coffee you're
looking for!

Finally, I don't think the cloth filters are the answer.  No matter how
well you clean them, you'll always have a trace of prior pots in them.  A
lot of people claim they can't taste the difference. In a blind taste test,
I can, so it's the glass rod for me.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on!

Thanks.
Doug