[Homeroast] Help.

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Thu Mar 15 12:15:30 CDT 2012

Oh man, do I ever feel your pain! Years ago before I started home roasting, I would get my beans from Casteel & Co. In Evanston, which would take custom roast orders. I knew my temple insisted on decaf and nothing but; one of the duties of a Bar Mitzvah boy's family is to cater the Oneg Shabbat (a social hour with sweets after Friday night services) the weekend of the celebration. All my friends, both caffeinds and Sanka-drinkers, marveled at Casteel's decaf Sumatra, so I ordered a couple of pounds to cover the Friday night and Saturday morning services.  The Ladies' Aux. took over after I brought them the coffee. I eagerly awaited everyone's reaction to the coffee Fri. night: definitely not the usual brown dishwater they normally poured, this was gonna taste like real coffee!

Except it didn't. The sweet little old (and I use the term not in a pejorative sense--she was 102) lady in charge explained that they always made it weak because that's what their compatriots were used to, as well as to save money. They thanked me profusely for my generous donation of eight weekends' worth of coffee. Oy vey!

Sent from my iPad
Sandy
www.sandyandina.com