[Homeroast] Chaff fire in Quest M3

sci scizen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:29:53 CST 2012

I had a little chaff fire in the Quest just now. I was roasting Sumatra
Aceh Dry Hulled, hoping to hit V-, climbing up to 2C, around 425F I got a
torrents of billowing smoke clouds coming out the back vent. Looking inside
the chaff collector I found a little fire going, so I just let it burn out
by turning down the fan a little. This is my first Quest fire. Nothing bad
happened, except some smoke in the kitchen. I roast so the smoke mostly
goes into my outdoor vented hood. I do clean out the chaff collector about
every other roast, but will probably start doing it every time. I'm usually
roasting 4-5 batches back-to-back.

Ivan