[Homeroast] Sour Espresso

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Thu Jun 21 12:43:36 CDT 2012

Yeah, but you know that's not real crema you're getting, right? You're basically getting a thin layer of "whipped" coffee that'll dissipate more quickly than the suspension of oils and particulates that is true crema. But I agree with those who say that while crema is desirable, the mark of a great shot is consistency and above all, TASTE.  That's why I bade b'bye to my ol' Krups pumper over a decade ago. A little bit of pale tan fluff floating on the coffee, topped with bubble-bath milk foam can't hold a candle to the real stuff.
On Jun 21, 2012, at 9:46 AM, denis bordeleau wrote:

> re: palatal pursuit, permanent residence,  unplugged espresso machines and crema issues.   You probably all know now that this week has been declared the Official International Day of Slowness.   As Mike said so well:" There's more than one way to fix an issue, and espresso is sensitive to the combination of temperature and pressure."      I do agree and it is why, sometimes, instead of using the Rancilio  Silvia, I use the more forgiving Cuisinart M100 with thermobloc and 9 bar pressure portafilter to get a very satisfactory no brain damage  crema easily for most of the shots.     That is an easy solution between the proportional integral derivative (PID) water temperature controller , the liquid nitrogen freezer kept portafilter and the bare naked bottomless one.    Same thing with the mayonnaise: when all women on their periods have been expulsed from the house, you only have one egg left and no more oil, you declare forfeit
> and  look for the Hellman's or Kraft jar.   For the divine crema problem you can google " Jim Seven crema issue" and become one of his disciple for the necessary length of time.   For Gaggia machine pressurized portafilter, google :" shop partsguru.com No 11009765" ( $80.00)  and Slowness Day is on the site of "Official International Day of Slowness".           Thanks for reading me and may all of you have  a wonderful day.           Denis

Peace & Song,
Sandy Andina
www.sandyandina.com