[Homeroast] Re : Sour espresso taste

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 19 16:05:49 CDT 2012

On Jun 18, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Bryan, Compass Coffee wrote:

> I'd stop basing your shot's success on the crema.  Crema doesn't
> mean a damn thing.

When I pulled my shot this morning it was topped with a good half inch
of crema.  But while I was grinding the coffee for that shot the knob
fell off my forty-three pound grinder and in the time it took me to
get the knob back on and turn it off it ground enough for a second
shot.  Well I am getting low on greens, I will order tomorrow, so I
decided to go ahead and use the extra ground coffee for my afternoon
shot.  Low and behold:  No crema.  Doesn't taste as good either.
Anyway a imputed  correlation based on an N of two, which should not
be calculated because N is less than three, a loss of crema predicts a
loss of flavor.

pecan jim

A retired professor who taught statistics to math hating students for
over thirty years.