[Homeroast] Sour expresso taste

Bryan, Compass Coffee bryan at compasscoffeeroasting.com
Tue Jun 12 21:29:21 CDT 2012

IMO your beans are past their prime, even under proper storage conditions.

You should also be grinding finer at this point, not coarser.  Try a smaller yield, 30g is quite a bit of yield for a 14g dose.  If you don't have a small .1g scale that you can set your cup on while you are pulling your shot into it you need to get one.  I think it will help your situation a ton.

If, at any point, your crema goes to "watery" you should have stopped your shot about 10 seconds prior.  Seriously.  It's not to be harsh or hurtful, but that's waaaaay beyond anything you should be seeing.  That's like roasting until second crack slows.  At the first sign of "yellow" you should be killing the pump.

To me it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your equipment, it sounds like you just need to adjust some shot parameters.

-bry