[Homeroast] Sour espresso taste

Larry Dorman ldorman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:05:30 CDT 2012


Does the yahoo list allow users to sell their used gaggia machines?

LarryD
On Jun 5, 2012 1:34 PM, "Paul Leung" <paulgleung at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> I have a Gaggia Classic + Baratza Vario. Been enjoying great shots for 2+
> years now after some tweaks. I would strongly encourage you to join the
> Gaggia users group on Yahoo! It is a great resource. You could have a
> faulty boiler thermostat. You can do a styrofoam cup temp check as
> described in the group's archive.  You may also want to consider installing
> a PID to better control temp and also adjust the OPV to 9 bar while you're
> at it. I've done both things and noticed a significant improvement in shot
> quality and shot consistency immediately with no need to change
> distribution, tamp, etc. techniques.  I used to do WDT- no real need to do
> so now. I also swapped out the stock steam wand with a Silvia v2 wand for
> improved steaming power and quality. There is also a bit of a pre-infusion
> trick that has made my shots sweeter and richer. Routine maintenance
> practices: daily H2O and weekly detergent backflushes, quarterly descaling
> (YMMV) help too. I always use SM homeroasted beans, of course.
>
> I think the Classic can be a very capable machine with those minor mods. I
> usually just drink shots (milk drinks just for guests) and feel no need to
> upgrade to another machine for some time. I have been very pleased with the
> Vario as well.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Paul
> Sent from my BlackBerry
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Sender: homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 12:00:01
> To: <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Reply-To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: Homeroast Digest, Vol 53, Issue 2
>
> Send Homeroast mailing list submissions to
>        homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        homeroast-owner at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Homeroast digest..."
>
>
> Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting "HomeRoast List" Digest
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Sour espresso taste (Mike Wilkens)
>   2. Re?:  Sour espresso taste (denis bordeleau)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 23:36:55 -0700
> From: Mike Wilkens <mike.wilkens at gmail.com>
> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: [Homeroast] Sour espresso taste
> Message-ID: <3DC9B868-9201-482F-88CA-C0206AB4997F at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Does anyone have hints on temperature surfing the Gaggia Classic?  I saw
> the earlier posts from 2006 on this subject, tried what was detailed there,
> didn't work for me.
>
> My shots are very consistent in taste, problem is they're all extremely
> sour tasting.  I've used four different beans, two different grinders, two
> different espresso machines (New Baby and Classic).  To raise the brew
> temp, I draw water (PF off) until the heating element goes on, install PF,
> wait until heating element goes on, wait 6 s, and pull.
>
> Unless I'm preparing it with coffee, the PF is installed at all times.  30
> minutes warm up.
>
> Also tried turning on steam switch for 10 seconds just before pulling the
> shot, all other parts of surfing ritual the same.  No difference.  Coffee
> temp in the cup was 168*F +- 2*F.
>
> Of course I've also tried just walking up to the machine and pulling.  No
> difference.
>
> I've ground fine enough that 2 drops of coffee come through, but if I get
> coffee it's extremely sour tasting.
>
> To my untrained eye, the crema usually appears tan and not chocolatey
> brown, which I'm told signifies underextraction.  Also to my untrained eye,
> the flow of the shot appears to go from dark dark brown straight to blond,
> without going through that reddish brown phase.  Suspecting channelling, I
> added another ritual sometimes called the Weiss Distribution Technique but
> could also be called Stirring with a Paperclip.  No difference.
>
> Next step is to find a 6 year old child...
>
> -Mike
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 14:32:37 -0700 (PDT)
> From: denis bordeleau <bomerlo at yahoo.ca>
> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>        list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>        <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> Subject: [Homeroast] Re?:  Sour espresso taste
> Message-ID:
>        <1338845557.76393.YahooMailNeo at web124505.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
> Hi Mike,??? I'm only 5 but I'll try answering that one. I have a Rancilio
> Sylvia.??????? From what you said it appears you have 2 problems: sour
> taste and cold water in the cup.? Sour taste can be because of rancid oil
> accumulation and minerals.? So, clean both of your machine and decalcify
> them.? Temperature problem will ?probably ?be solved.? Check your chain of
> ?T?.?If you have steam??in the wand?and 168 degrees in the cup you have a
> loss in between. Keep your?porta filter hot?and panty (not in the freezer),
> warm the cup and try bigger size than ristretto.? Clean the grinders with
> instant ?minute rice to get rid of sour tasting oil by cleaning the burrs.?
> Be sure the blend is OK by trying another extraction and grinding method.??
> For cleaning, backwash and decalcifying method on the Gaggia New Baby and
> Classic models, go with the instructions book or the mighty list will come
> to your help.??? I wish you good luck and a
>  very nice evening
>
>
>
> ________________________________
>  De?: Mike Wilkens <mike.wilkens at gmail.com>
> ??: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Envoy? le : samedi 2 juin 2012 2h36
> Objet?: [Homeroast] Sour espresso taste
>
> Does anyone have hints on temperature surfing the Gaggia Classic?? I saw
> the earlier posts from 2006 on this subject, tried what was detailed there,
> didn't work for me.
>
> My shots are very consistent in taste, problem is they're all extremely
> sour tasting.? I've used four different beans, two different grinders, two
> different espresso machines (New Baby and Classic).? To raise the brew
> temp, I draw water (PF off) until the heating element goes on, install PF,
> wait until heating element goes on, wait 6 s, and pull.
>
> Unless I'm preparing it with coffee, the PF is installed at all times.? 30
> minutes warm up.
>
> Also tried turning on steam switch for 10 seconds just before pulling the
> shot, all other parts of surfing ritual the same.? No difference.? Coffee
> temp in the cup was 168*F +- 2*F.
>
> Of course I've also tried just walking up to the machine and pulling.? No
> difference.
>
> I've ground fine enough that 2 drops of coffee come through, but if I get
> coffee it's extremely sour tasting.
>
> To my untrained eye, the crema usually appears tan and not chocolatey
> brown, which I'm told signifies underextraction.? Also to my untrained eye,
> the flow of the shot appears to go from dark dark brown straight to blond,
> without going through that reddish brown phase.? Suspecting channelling, I
> added another ritual sometimes called the Weiss Distribution Technique but
> could also be called Stirring with a Paperclip.? No difference.
>
> Next step is to find a 6 year old child...
>
> -Mike
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
>
> End of Homeroast Digest, Vol 53, Issue 2
> ****************************************
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>


More information about the Homeroast mailing list